CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

October Birds

The other day, while sitting in the window room, I saw a hairy woodpecker on the suet feeder.  The camera was on the end table next to me, to I took a picture of the woodpecker.
 The next thing I knew, a little downy woodpecker landed on the suet feeder.  So I snapped his picture.
 And then, a red-bellied woodpecker landed on the suet feeder.  Three of our regular woodpeckers landed on the feeder within five minutes of each other, and I got some great shots of all of them.
 A few days later, I got this cardinal, perched in what the girls call the "waiting tree."  This is where birds wait before landing on their favorite feeder.
 The next day I saw a female goldfinch in the waiting tree.  If you look closely, you can see that she's losing her summer color, and the drab winter brown is creeping in.
 I also got this nuthatch as it hopped around the tree trunk.
 And today I saw a regular visitor - Julia's favorite bird, the Carolina wren . . .
 . . . and I also saw a new-to-us pair of birds - purple finches.  This was the first time I've seen these birds at one of our feeders.

0 comments: