CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Rainbow Birthday Cake

Evelyn had one request for her birthday cake this year:  a vanilla cake.  Well, I can certainly do more than that . . . and after doing a bit of research online, I had a plan.  A rainbow cake plan.  I prepared a vanilla cake mix according to the package, except I only mixed the batter on medium speed for one minute.  I divided the batter into three separate bowls and added Wilton's food coloring gel to each bowl - red, yellow and blue.  (Stirring in the food coloring completed the mixing time needed for the cake batter.)
I layered and frosted the cake with regular, white buttercream frosting.  Then I made two cups of powdered sugar glaze, thinned with milk.  I used Wilton's food coloring gel to tint the glaze in six separate Ziploc bags.  Then I snipped the corner of the Ziploc bag and carefully drizzled the colored glaze down the sides of the cake.
 Evelyn had no idea that a colorful surprise awaited her under all the frosting - and she was thrilled with the result!

0 comments: